As the name suggests, Walking Football is a slow-paced version of the beautiful game which is often aimed specifically at the over 50’s age group (but here at WWSET can be played by anybody)!
It’s generally accepted that as you get older the opportunity to participate in team sports lesson – ironically at the age when you most need to keep active, both physically and socially.
Walking Football is designed to help people keep an active lifestyle despite their age or physical condition, as well as getting those back playing football who have previously had to stop for whatever reason.
The exact aims of the Wycombe Wanderers Walking Football Club are to:
· Provide people who are no longer willing or able to participate in football at its normal pace the opportunity to still play the game;
· Improve the physical fitness and health levels of participants;
· Increase levels of social interaction and therefore personal wellbeing via participation in the WWWFC sessions.
Despite the fact that no running is allowed, the walking format of football is surprisingly tiring, and you certainly work up a sweat. Simply playing 1 hour a week for 3 months enables players to cover 30 miles and burn 4,200 calories!”
WWSET’s walking football club has been running since 2015 and consists of two all-inclusive sessions each week:
· Tuesdays at 7:00pm – 8:00pm venue Buckinghamshire College, Flackwell Heath Campus, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath, High Wycombe, Hp10 9HE.
· Thursdays 6:00pm – 7:00pm venue Cressex Synthetic Sports Pitch, Holmers Lane, High Wycombe, Hp12 4QA.
· Playing surface: 4G (rubber crumb) at both venues.
In addition to the training and league sessions, the Wycombe Wanderers Walking Football Club often play fixtures against other professional football club walking football teams in line with first team home and away fixtures. For example if Wycombe Wanderers FC are playing at home one Saturday we may invite the opposition teams walking footballers to play our group before the game, before all the players watch the game at Adams Park together afterwards.
The Wycombe Wanderers Walking Football Club is predominantly managed by its participants which gives ownership and freedom to direct the sessions as the players see fit. There is a committee in operation that ensures that the main objectives associated with the sessions – those of fun, enjoyment and inclusivity – always remain at the forefront of thinking.
So if you would like to come and give Walking Football a try please get in touch with WWSET on 01494 455736 or via email on email@example.com.